Friday, October 07, 2011

My First Week

Well it's now finished. My first week of school that is. It's been busy. It's been frustrating. It's been tiring. But I know that it's worth it.

One of my classes is that on business communication. What a perfect fit for the girl who doesn't use text speak whilst texting and uses(mostly) proper grammar even for her blog. One of my assignments is to keep a journal. It doesn't have to directly relate to the class, or even to school. We can write about what we want, how we want. This includes my already existing blog. So good news everyone! I will get marks for blogging! So it also means that I will have to be diligent in updating even though I was originally concerned that I would have time.

As for the rest of my classes, many touch on what I already did for a living. I've strangely missed accounting. But I can tell you something that I haven't missed. Math. I know what you're thinking. Isn't accounting math? Well yes...but no. My big math issue is that I was never allowed in high school to take consumer math. You know, useful math. Because I was pegged in grade nine as a "high achiever" or something to the like I was instructed to take per-calculus and then in grade twelve calculus. I can safely say that I've never used anything I learned in high school math in real life. Maybe if I was a physicist or something I would care about limits and sin and cosin and all that nonsense. But I'm really, really not, so I've sort of been soured for life on mathematical concepts.

Accounting, bookkeeping and payroll is useful math. Numbers make sense and you don't have ridiculous equations to try to solve for, it's all applications. Plus I like payroll, weird I know. It was probably one of my  favourite parts of my job. I got to co-ordinate with one of my closest friends and I was solely responsible for the tech times for ten guys. I was the go-to girl for my techs. I was young, but I was respected. A very good feeling to say the least. I can only hope that at my next job I can find the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment