Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Closure

We head to the lawyers today to sign the papers completing the sale of our house. It's a strange feeling. I was there yesterday as we forgot some bar stools in the shed but they didn't fit the day before to take them home. The baby was sleeping in the car and I was alone in our little house.
As I stood in our now empty living room I remembered that she first pulled herself up on the couch along the wall, and her swing sat next the the window in the corner. Her pink nursery was painted by me a month before her birth. I'm not much of a painter so it was a pretty big accomplishment. In our bedroom, there are the mirrored closet doors that our first cat freaked out at when we first brought him home as a kitten, and then he learned to open up. It's the room that we slept in as husband and wife and where we slept with our daughter for the first 7 months of her life.

I had no idea that I felt this way about our house. This is actually the 3rd time we've threatened to move and it finally happened. It was a place where we lived and it was small. Our apartment was bigger for cripes sakes. But as I stood in the empty house alone, I realized that it was more than that. It was not just a house but a home, it was small but it was ours.

I wrote a letter to the new owners, going through our story, hoping to get my closure. I think I got what I was looking for. I only hope they read it. I hope no matter what they intend on doing with our house, be it their first home or an investment property, it will work out well for them.

That house meant a lot to my husband, and apparently it meant a lot to me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment