Thursday, June 30, 2011

Judgement

Most of my mom friends are those who I have met through the internet. Of all the people I went to high school with none of them are anywhere near the same stage of life as me. But there is one girl. She had a baby a few weeks after I did actually.

I've apparently become a bit of a hippy or something. I had a relatively drug free labour(only used the gas, but if I wouldn't have gotten kicked out of the shower because the ward was so full that I had no room and they didn't know where I was I would have not needed it I'm sure) and I'm a nursing mama with no plans to wean anytime soon, we do Baby Led Weaning(so no cereal/jarred foods, she eats what we eat and it's usually very healthy food), I baby wore a lot in the early days(now she gets annoyed with me) and I would totally have cloth diapered if we had our own washer/dryer(I do cloth swim diaper though) I will also be Extended Rear Facing the baby until at least the new AAP recommendations of 2 years old. Lots of this I learned through a forum that I joined back in my wedding planning days and just stuck around.

So where am I going with this. She is one of those people that updates their Facebook status every 30 seconds. It goes in this order, "I need sleep, X kept me up all night" then "I love X" and then "Going to do something with X" then "I'm tired" then "X is asleep but I can't sleep" then "X is sleeping so I will too" you get the picture. Very annoying so I blocked her from my feed. Anyhoo, every once and awhile I will check out her page and her pics. There are numerous pics of this kid drinking a slurpee, eating popsicles(and no this is not a homemade one out of natural juices or something, it's definitely commercial) etc. This kid is 9 months old!

So I judge. Isn't this why we have an obesity epidemic on our hands? Kids are more interested in drinking syrupy slurpees than having a nice glass of water? Having sugary popsicles to beat the heat instead of yogurt? I mean, there is sugar in pretty much everything, but it's the type of sugar. There is a huge difference between the refined sugar in a Coke slurpee than there is the naturally occurring sugars in peaches. *sigh*

I come from a family that struggles with weight. My dad is obese, my aunt morbidly so. My mom is overweight. My grandfather has had a few heart attacks and there is high blood pressure and cholesterol issues. I am the odd one out. While a healthy weight(although high end on the scale) before getting pregnant I'm now 15-20 pounds less than that and I'm probably in the best physical condition now than in the past ten years and I eat nutritious homecooked meals and generally chose water as my drink of choice. My husband is also thin even though his sister is after a few years of marriage overweight. So we are motivated for their problems to not become our own.

So when I see things like this I just shake my head. I'm totally not saying that my kid will never taste refined sugar or be allowed to eat the occasional Happy Meal. But there are far better choices out there. And we will continue to make the right choices. And I will silently judge those who don't even though it's something I never thought I would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment