Monday, June 13, 2011

Grocery Shopping? At Wal-Mart? Really?

Seeing as we now get flyers and the Wal-Mart near us is now a Supercentre complete with an almost complete grocery store, I thought I'd give them a shot. I normally avoid Wal-Mart because you can waste half your life standing in the checkout lines but at 10am it wasn't so bad.

I was pleased to discover fresh produce comparable to what I would normally purchase at Sobeys for better prices. Their meats looked ok, but I can't shake the fact that it's Wal-Mart so I chose to pass that aisle by.

They also have an ad match program in place. It's something that I am going to have to look further into for things like boxed goods seeing as I will now have flyers from the chain grocers to be able to match and compare. But that is going to take some work and some getting used to. I'm just starting into couponing(more on that in a future post) so I kind of want to be established in that before I venture into something new.

I still went to Sobeys after for my meats and for some items that they had on sale there. But after checking flyers for them and Wal-Mart and some coupons, I spent approximately $65 for a weeks worth of groceries for my family of three. No diapers, pet food or laundry products which for sure kept the costs down. But when I budget $125 a week for food, $65 is pretty darn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment