Thursday, June 02, 2011

Sleep Training....Oy

We've(and by we've I mean me) have been trying to sleep train our daughter. We have co-slept since birth and it worked for us for a long time. But now that she is getting bigger and crawling and moving around it's just not cutting it anymore.

So off baby goes to her crib. I've tried now cry it out methods, they don't work on my little tyrant. So despite saying that we wouldn't do CIO, here we are(although I said we wouldn't co-sleep either so my word's not worth that much).

I haven't read any CIO books(although I picked up Sleep Easy from the library today) so we started with my own version. I'd put her into her jammies, then we'd nurse until she was drowsy but still awake and then I'd put her into her crib, turn on her musical seahorse, hand her this cute bunny lovey I bought off etsy and say night night.

She screams the second I get her within a foot of her crib like she's dying. Then I do checkins every 10 minutes and eventually she falls asleep, sucking her thumb. Day 1 it was an hour, by day 3 it was only 20 minutes. I thought I was doing pretty damn good.

Then she learned how to pull herself to standing....she can't get back down.Ugh! Last night was a 2.5 hour nightmare. I consulted some Sleep Easy veterans on a message board I belong to who told me to not lay her back down. She'd learn to do it herself/she'd fall asleep standing/she'd fall down etc. Main point, don't touch her. Well that's great but that doesn't work! By 2.15 hours I got fed up and laid her back down and less than 15 minutes after that she was out until I dunno, around 3-4am when she freaked again and in I go and she's standing up again. I laid her down but I really don't know what happened after that because I fell asleep, I assume she did too. By around 7am, she woke up as usual and was standing again. Not sure how long she was standing there. Sigh.

Who knows what tonight brings. I just want my baby to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment